*This post contains affiliate links.
Perhaps you a tried and true expert at it or maybe a total newbie just lacing up your shoes for the first time. An important key to success is listening to the advice and lessons learned from seasoned runners. Here are some great tips to keep in mind and test out.
- Surround yourself with fun, positive people! Even if you run alone creating a happy go getters support systems is important.
- Hydrate! The body is actually thirsty before you feel thirsty.
- Change it up. If you run on streets, try a track or treadmill and vice versa.
- Run the hills. You only get stronger by requiring more out of yourself.
- Going slow is ok!
- You can go faster. Test your limits!
- Remember to cross train. Having a strong body from head to toe improves your running form, pace and prevents injuries.
- If you run alone let someone know where you are going and when you think you’ll be back.
- Create your own challenges. Try a race, run over terrain, push the stroller, organize a running club.
- What you wear matters. Find shoes that fit right. A good pair will last a long time.
- Under apparel is important. You want things to stay in place and not chafe.
- Outer apparel is just as important. You want clothes that will protect against the elements.
Forget the shoes, forget the clothes. Just go out and run!
Unless it’s cold. You might want shoes and clothes if its cold.
- Plan your workouts. Record how they go and make adjustments.
- Don’t work on improving your speed and distance at the same time.
- Focus on improving one aspect of your running at a time. (strength, endurance, pace, distance)
- Distract your body and focus your thoughts. Think about other goals you want to be working towards and how much easier it will be to go after them with the strength and confidence you are building from running. Think about anything other than how much farther you have left to go.
- Remember to eat. More is less except right before you run. The body still burns calories long after you’ve completed that run.
- Stretch what is tight and sore, but don’t overdo it.
- Watch out for cars, they don’t always see you! Wear bright colors at night.
- When you find yourself struggling (everyone does at some point), remember why you are running.
Better health, better mind, happier spirit!
- Know how lucky you are to be running and simply enjoy the fact you can.
- Running will do more for your mind than for your body. It builds character and the reward is well earned pride. You are stronger and capable of more than you realize.
- The feeling of satisfaction knowing you just did what you once thought impossible.
- The moment when running transforms from only hard work and pain into joy and peacefulness.
- When running is fun. Crossing that threshold will happen. Stick with it.
You don’t need fancy shoes and clothes.
You don’t need the latest watch.
You don’t need to hire an expensive coach.
You can go simply as you are.
That is all it takes to reap the rewards from running, for running only requires two things: getting out the door and doing it.
*Special Thanks to my running pals at RunJunkEes of Cedar Rapids & IC Running Group for your contributions*
Are you ready to raise the bar?
The Point of the Marathon is available on Amazon Kindle!
Remember to vote for me! Click below! Health & Fitness at Top Mommy Blogs!
Image © Dollar Photo Club